- Lockdown lifted on NC campus after nearby shooting
- Body still buried at collapsed Washington silo
- 2 dead, 1 wounded in shooting near NC college
- NY train wreck could be case of highway hypnosis
- Trial begins for ex-officer in Katrina shooting
- Court hears discrimination case over wedding cake
- Growing trend for 2014: Orchid as top color
- At 50, new-look Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- UN Security Council faces vote on CAR violence
- Nearly week of frigid temperatures for West
|National News||World News||Health News||Entertainment|
|Business & Finance||Technology||Sports||General Interest|
News Story of the Day
Updated Dec 04, 10:50 PM
NEW YORK - With a flick of the switch, a 76-foot Norway Spruce officially became the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree Wednesday night after it was illuminated for the first time this holiday season in a ceremony that's been held since 1933.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg turned on the lights just before 9 p.m., setting off a dazzling 45,000 multi-colored LED lights and a 9 1/2-foot-wide Swarovski star that topped the 12-ton tree.
Adam Connery, 41, and his wife Kristy Connery, 37, from Tyngsborough, Mass., watched the ceremony on their first vacation to New York City.
Sports Story of the Day
Updated Dec 04, 11:26 PM
MEXICO CITY - The game between the San Antonio Spurs and Minnesota Timberwolves was postponed Wednesday night because of smoky conditions inside the Mexico City arena.
The arena was evacuated about 45 minutes before the scheduled 9:30 p.m. EST tipoff when a generator malfunction outside the arena sent smoke pouring into the building, according to NBA spokeswoman Sharon Lima.
Mexico City Police said in a statement there was a fire in the generator room on the fourth floor of the modern glass-clad arena that opened in 2012.
|Provide as much information as you know, and click Get Map.|