- 1 of 2 fires north of LA contained
- Panel finalizes plan to send $37.5 million more to Southern Nevada colleges
- Powerball drawing follows late ticket-buying rush
- Bullying reporting now required
- Hofstra student killed by police during break-in
- Probe into Conn. train crash giving way to cleanup
- Medical emergency eyed in Va. parade crash
- Under the U.S. Supreme Court: Islamic law in U.S. courts
- Bill for tag to honor fallen police officers awaits a vote
- EDITORIAL: Legislative power still hindering work of SC counties
|National News||World News||Health News||Entertainment|
|Business & Finance||Technology||Sports||General Interest|
News Story of the Day
Updated May 18, 11:03 PM
SANTA CLARITA, Calif. - One of two wildfires burning in the hills and mountains around Interstate 5 north of Los Angeles was fully contained Saturday and authorities were getting an upper hand on the second one.
The 712-acre fire was contained late Saturday after breaking out Friday and briefly threatening an elementary school and about 20 homes, the Los Angeles County Fire Department said.
Some 350 firefighters battled the blaze Saturday amid unpredictable winds and rough terrain.
Sports Story of the Day
Updated May 18, 09:12 PM
BALTIMORE - Right from the start, a horse trained by one not so over-the-hill Hall of Famer and ridden by another took control of the Preakness.
The result: a huge upset and the end of any hopes for a Triple Crown attempt at the Belmont Stakes.
Thanks to Oxbow's wire-to-wire win Saturday over Kentucky Derby winner Orb, trainer D. Wayne Lukas and jockey Gary Stevens have themselves another classic to add to their stellar resumes.
|Provide as much information as you know, and click Get Map.|